Sunday, June 26, 2011

Married Man Date

There have been a few times in my life where I just wake up and decide to do something...something big!  Such is the case when I was living in Northwest Arkansas after college.  I bought my first house when I was 24 there.  I know the house was a goal, but I don't know why I decided there.  I was miserable!  I love Northwest Arkansas, but it just wasn't where I wanted to be in my early/mid twenties.  So!  I woke up one Sunday morning and decided I would move.  I literally looked at a map and thought, "ehh...let's try Dallas."  I started researching Dallas that week and the following weekend I made a trip down there to check it out.  I knew all of 3 people in Dallas when I left--and two of them were family!  The third person I knew was a guy that I had been Internet buddies with for a few years.  His girlfriend at the time called me when she heard I was coming--long story short, she is now one of my best friends and I am so thankful for her in my life! 

So I moved to Dallas after I closed a big deal and could afford the move.  I gave up my faux-finish and mural painting business and decided to look back into health care.  I looked into Physician Assistant programs and I looked into nursing....and here I am, professional student, back in school again....anyway.  I got down to Dallas and I enrolled in pre-reqs for nursing.  The easiest job I knew to get while taking classes was waiting tables and bartending.  Voila!  I had a job in less than three days of being there.  I downsized from my 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment and I was so happy to be in A CITY!!! 

Knowing all of three people when I moved there, I was a smidge lonely.  I felt like I hadn't been on a date in FOREVER, which wasn't the truth, but it's what I felt like.  The restaurant I worked at was a Brazilian Churrascuria and it happened to draw all kinds of handsome Spanish and Portuguese-speaking men to work there.  One of the guys kept asking me out, so finally I gave.  He was from Latin America.  Sexy accent.  Decent looking.  Very very funny.  Kind of goofy--but, smart.  What was the harm in it?  I will never forget.  I was in a Pinot Noir phase and he offered to pick up a bottle of La Crema Pinot Noir and come over after work to have a glass of wine.  He had me at Pinot!!!  Working in the restaurant business for a while, I got to learn so much about wines.  I miss it!!!

I have always enjoyed visiting with people that are so different from me.  People from other countries, religious backgrounds and viewpoints always seem to open my eyes to more out there.  Culture me!!!  So I was a little excited to ask this guy about his home country and maybe pick up a little of his language.  He came over and we sat on my teeeeny balcony at my teeeeny bistro set and had our bottle of Pinot.  My little Leo (dog) really took to him, so I felt okay about having him there.  (Leo is a mamma's boy and usually very protective.)  We sat outside and gabbed for a few hours.  I think he probably kissed me goodnight and that was it.

I had enjoyed our time on the balcony and the Pinot, so what was the harm in hanging out again???  I knew in my gut, this was going no where long-term, but I really enjoyed getting to know him.  He had me over to a house party and I met all of his roommates.  Ummm....all foreign...all very good looking.  Wowzers.  I wasn't feeling sorry for lonely ol' me anymore!  The third or fourth time we hung out (outside of work), I believe was at my place again.  It was the same type of night as the first date, if you'll call it that.  Bottle of wine.....lots of gabbing.  We moved inside to my living room and were snuggled up on the couch.  He started getting a little kissy and said in a very low-sexy-heavy-accented voice, "Errrrica....I have something to tell you."  And of course, googlie-eyed me would've listened to anything when said like that!  "Yes???" 

Then there was a pause....and he said it...."I'm married." 

"What?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  I shrieked as I moved to the opposite side of the couch and stared in disbelief.  "Seriously?!  Married?!  What the hell are you doing here?!  Where is your WIFEEEEEEEEEE?!!!!!"  He then explained his marriage as basically fake, which I have no respect for and that was the end of that.  Never in my life did I think I would go out with a married man!  I respect the commitment of marriage so much!  ARGhhhhh..........If I wasn't blessed with such amazing guy friends, I would seriously think ALL men were pigs!  That was my LAST date with a married man......that I know of, anyway.....

Sweet dreams.....

No comments:

Post a Comment