Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wedding Cake-Eater

One of my favorite things at weddings are the CAKES!  I love to see how they are decorated, what thought and creativity went into the groom's cake, and most of all THE TASTE!  Yes, ladies and gents--I am a total wedding cake-eater!!!!!  Not only do I like to eat wedding cake, but I have made a few.....hence, this blog.  When asked if I would ever make my own wedding cake, I would have to say, if that is what my groom would want, absolutely!  Would it stress me out?  Yes, but a healthy stress.  I like doing it if I have the time. 

I used to be Bitter-Betty in my mid-twenties at weddings when all of my peers were getting married, and I was always a bridesmaid, never a bride.  Gotta say, I have really grown to LOVE a good wedding.  AND, it's just not my time.  I have come to realize if I'm gonna take the plunge, it's not on my timing--it's in the Big Guy's hands AND I DON'T WANT TO GET MARRIED IF I CAN'T HAVE WHAT MY MIMI AND PAPA HAD--it's just not worth it.  Plus, I have been living, I mean REALLY LIVING a great single life and doing things I would've put on hold had I been married or with kids.  Don't get me wrong, I want all of that, but I am really comfortable with life now and all of the blessings I have been given.  AND I LOVE WEDDING CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! MMMMMmmmmmm.......Hope you enjoy my wedding cake creations as much as I enjoyed making and eating them....

Groom's cake.  Wedding colors were Tiffany blue and brown--hence the marbled candy pieces on the side of the cake.  This groom was a big card/poker player.

This is the first wedding cake I made (wedding in Arkansas.)  The flowers are mostly royal icing.  The topper I made with royal icing and wire.  If you can't tell, it is a "L" for the groom's name, a heart shape, and a "B" for the bride's name.  The balls are fondant.  The cake was white with buttercream.....Princess makes some good buttercream.....

These cakes were for a groom-groom reception.  Unfortunately, I made such a heavy cake, this toppled in the ride over.  OMG!  Talk about stress!  We took off the bottom layer and salvaged the rest......man, did I feel bad!  Fortunately, alcohol seems to make everything better...I think the entire reception was partying so hard they barely noticed the boo-boo-ed cake.  The flowers on the small chocolate cakes were made with a lily-nail--I love that tool!!!  You can make some really funky flowers with it!

Groom's cake for one of my best guy friends--basically my St. Lou brother from a different mother!  He loves his Cards, so naturally it was a Cardinal cake!  I am not too crazy about the yellow, but after I finished, I wasn't about to scrape it off and start over!!!  That would really mess it up!

I made the ball-cap by baking a bowl-shaped pan of cake and then molding the fondant around it....then I had to make a shape for the bill to lay like boys do on their heads.....I love this 3D type of stuff--it's kind of like sculpture or playing with play-doh!

Wedding cake with gerber daisies.  My fantastic mother helped my position these flowers. I love the color and life in this cake!  And.....yummmmmmmmm!!!!

What an idea!  I think I made 12 or 13 package cakes (felt like 50 when it was all said and done.)  One for each table and all different flavors.  White cake with raspberry, chocolate with raspberry, white with strawberry, white with buttercream, chocolate with buttercream, etc..etc.. you get the idea!  I love this bride's idea!  This was a very very time consuming project.  There is a lot of prep-work for this when you don't have a commercial kitchen!  I love my kitchen-aid!  One of the best Christmas gifts I have ever received, however, I was wishing I had like five of them when I was working on this!!!!

Bows were all fondant....the rest is buttercream iced.

Package on each table!!!  I did include labels for each table so they could bounce to a different table if they wanted a different flavor of cake.  I love this bride--so much fun!

Another package cake!


I don't know about you, but now I'm just itching to go to another wedding and EAT CAKE!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. :) Got your fb message. Love seeing all that you're up to. These cakes are gorgeous. I remember seeing your photos awhile ago, but didn't realize you're still doing them.

    ReplyDelete