Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bloomtastic!

Well, I have actually been pretty creative and busy this past week.  Between cake baking, cupcake baking, sewing, and working on my endless apartment decorating, there is just not enough time in the day!  Not to mention my packed social calendar, an awesome visit with my hilarious Dad (must blog about later) AND fitting work in, as well--WOWZERS!  I am not complaining, though!  It's been fantastic!  Blessed Princess here!

So!  I went to Bloom last Friday and wore the dress I had made that week just for the event.  Bloom is a fundraiser for Kansas City Free Health Clinic.  Quixotic Fusion and Dolewite performed.  There were endless fantastic beverages and apps.....and of course, my favorite--DANCE FLOOR!  The theme was "South Beach."  As I have never really been to South Beach (I know, shocker, right?!), I had to use my imagination for event-wear.  Where was my first stop?  The mall--No.  Macy's--No.  Hall's--No.  Nord's--No.  My first stop was Hancock Fabrics.  In I walked and I could hear the "Hallelujah" music of angels as I spotted the fabric--bold, bright, quite possibly "South Beach."  I had picked out a pattern from my collection of dresses made previously, so I knew just how much fabric I needed and I marched to the cutting table.....the rest is history.  I have been wearing a lot of strapless dresses lately, so I decided this one was NOT to be strapless.  Here is the final product:

I beaded and added some wrinkled ribbon around the neck and center of the sash.



In addition to the dress making, I made these earrings and bracelets to match.  As I do like to dance, I must've been shaking it a smidge much, because one of my earrings went flying on the dance floor.  BUMMED!  In that instant, my insecurities got the best of me...."Way to go, homemade queen--earring broken." I thought to myself.  However, I was pleased to discover the next morning as I was emptying my purse, the result of my broken earring had nothing to do with my crafty-work.  See that little green glass bead at the bottom of the earring?  It broke because it was glass.  It wouldn't have mattered if I had paid big bucks for these or had just made them myself--glass is not dance-floor proof no matter what.  And Princess here is not going to slow down on the dance floor--with or without earrings.

So there you have my latest sewing project.  It fit well, was original, and a heck of a lot of fun to make.  I made some cupcakes earlier in the week.....but, I shall not post pics of those.  I think my mother might be a smidge embarrassed for posting penis cupcakes on my blog.  (They were for an engagement celebration.)  And to be honest, penises are just ugly....no way around it.  Even if they are made of cake and buttercream--kind of an eye-sore.  I am convinced that the almighty penis has purpose and function--neither of which are to be viewed as a thing of beauty.  Sorry guys, as a nurse I've seen a few, and never pulled back a sheet to say "that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!"  I do however, respect the male species...and his Y chromosome parts.  I hope to post pics next week of a new cake project, which I can smell baking in my kitchen as I type.  MMMMMMmmmm.....fantastic!  I also have a few painting projects in the pipeline.  It's going to be a busy couple of weeks before school starts!  Can't wait!!!

Sweet dreams....

No comments:

Post a Comment