Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Meat me for dinner or not...

For Lent this year I gave up meat.  My mom thought I should give up alcohol, but it really is my only vice and way too big a part of my social life.  There is nothing like a fantastic glass of wine at the end of a long day--and actually pretty heart-healthy in moderation.  And the occasional dirty martini...bourbon and 7...well, ya got me there.  So anyway, I chose meat for my Lenten sacrifice.  Meat being pork, turkey (gobble-gobble,) chicken and beef.  I do still eat fish, mostly salmon, but I really do love all seafood.  Look, I gotta be honest, I think in my heart I will always be a carnivore.  My favorite meal has got to be a quality RARE steak, loaded baker, Caesar salad, greens of any sort, and a really great Cabernet Sauvignon.  HOWEVER, I rarely eat this meal.  Most of the time, I do attempt to eat quite a bit healthier. 

Those that have known me a long time, know I have a passion for not only eating, but cooking!  I love to cook!  Turn up some Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, or bootie-shakin'-funk and pour me a glass of wine.  I'll be all up in your kitchen!  It's kind of sad when I'm cooking just for myself, but hey--lots of things freeze and last.  My two beasty dogs are always entertained by the kitchen smells and my grooving moves.  Ha!  I guess that will have to do for now.  Principessa here can really make some meat-a-balls!  And, it's been a while, but I can fry up some chicken, too!  HOWEVER, this blog is about my NON-meat experience.  I want to share a few quick staples that I made in this one skillet for non-meat-eating-sista-on-the-go this Lenten season!  These are all so fast and so easy....really idiot-proof, I promise.


Black bean burgers.  Chopped red and green bell peppers, salsa, an egg, 2 cans black beans, and oatmeal.  Mix and knead with love in a large bowl.  Add oatmeal until ground-meat-like consistency.  Form patties and cook on skillet with olive oil.  I eat without a bun--just guacamole and tomatoes.  Easy to freeze.  Excellent re-heated.  I am addicted to black bean burgers!  I have also tried to cut back on dairy, but cheese would be a nice addition to these.  I think rice would work well in these, too.

Portobello ginormous mushrooms in red wine, Worcester, onions, and garlic.....pretty self explanatory.  I just use the last of previous night's red wine and go!  Garlic is fantastic fresh on most of these meals.

Shrimp-fajita salad.  I saute in olive oil and water, onion and bell peppers.  Add shrimp, cumin, chili powder, and of course garlic...heat til shrimpies done and serve over a bed of lettuce with tomatoes and guacamole.  If I had had black olives, probably would've been a good addition.


Shrimp fajita salad--see above.

Chop onion and saute in olive oil and water.  Add garlic.  Chop tomatoes and add.  Salt sliced eggplant and add to skillet.  Italian seasoning.  Simmer/steam until desired consistency.  OOOHHH...this is a great eggplant dish and can be modified over pasta with cheese.  I eat sans pasta and cheese--but nice addition.

I think coming up with new recipe ideas can be creative and so much fun!  Cheers!  I probably won't give up meat entirely, but these dishes helped get me through this Lenten season.

Sweet dreams.....

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, this reminds me of the way Allison cooks with that magic touch of putting yummy things together and making it delicious.

    ReplyDelete