Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One dress leads to another!

I am so excited for this Friday!  I am making a dress to wear to an event called "Bloom."  Bloom is an event to benefit the Kansas City Free Health Clinic.  I have never been to this event before and from what I have heard, it should be a lot of fun.  Lemme be honest, I love ANY excuse to "doll-up," have some cocktails, and dance the night away; not to mention this is for a great cause......AND...I love an excuse to make a new dress when I have time to do it!  The theme for Bloom is "South Beach."  So, dream it up!  I'll be sure to post a picture next week!  I still have all of the "hand" work to finish....and knowing me, it will be at the very last minute when it's done! 

So, inspiring my sewing mood this week....I will post some pics of the dresses I have made since last fall.

So this dress I got a ton of help from my mom.  She is WAY MORE the seamstress than I.  My mom is a wonder-woman when it comes to sewing.  She can make ANYTHING!  I picked out this fabric at Hancock's and was extremely disappointed when I to to the "cutter" to discover the fabric was in two different pieces---and the two pieces were slightly different in butterfly color.  I studied the pieces a little closer and found that I could make it work with both!  So, cutting out this dress was more thought through than normal.  I cut it out and wonder-woman helped me get it together.  I did all of the "hand" work, but let me be honest--props go to the mom for her hard work on this one.  I wore this dress to one of the most beautiful black-tie weddings I have ever been to....and boy did I dance the night away in this one!  Yes, same pic as my profile...in addition to the dress, cocktail in hand and smile on my face--I think that is very "me!"

I'm in the tangerine here....this dress was made from the same pattern as the dress above....only short, and with one strap.  I wanted a bold color--HELLO!...and I wanted a funky ribboned strap.....VOILA!!!  I wore this dress to NYE and again, danced the night away!  TOO MUCH FUN!  Again, props to "MAMA D" for some help on this one.  This dress (inspired by the first) led to another inspiration....much less creative, but still fun.....

And here you go.....I bought this purple dress online for $24.  I know it's a bit risky buying without trying, but I have almost mastered the art of this.  I have even been able to buy jeans just by looking at the cut without trying.  So, I purchased this dress for $24 online and inspired by my NYE tangerine project, I floooooffffed and pooooofffed myself up another one-strap funky sleeve.  Less than $5 in ribbon, not too shabby for a night out.  I wore this to "Party Arty" that is held at the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum once a year in Kansas City.

Look, a single girl's gotta be fairly creative to have a one-of-a-kind dress AND afford to attend some of the functions I have been privileged enough to attend the past 6 months.  I am starting to fret that "functions" and "events" will cease to be my reality in 55..just 55 days!  How will I ever have the time or the $$$ to do this with school on my plate?!

So, concluding this blog, I just want to apologize to those that follow my Facebook pics--I know this is redundant.  HOWEVER, in just 3 short days, I will be donning a new homemade dress--South Beach theme...and I am STOKED!

-Sweet Dreams...



1 comment:

  1. So excited to see your new dress! Are you sure you don't have a second calling as a designer? These dresses are truly one-of-a-kind, red carpet worthy, and absolutely amazing. Your one shoulder trick adds the perfect amount of glamour -- love it.

    ReplyDelete